The Afterlife of John Paul

 The following is not meant to offend, or do harm, or  in any way insult the hearts of those who read these words. They are actually meant as a source of unexpected healing, a lifting up and a lightening of the load of heavy burdens.

I have been on a sabbatical from social media and daily consumption of the news as my steady diet. And this has helped me to lose “wait.”  I am no longer waiting for the world to be at Peace. I am choosing, instead, to claim it inside me and share it as the high beam frequency of what I am personally broadcasting to this world.

In light of this, I have been given a mission, born of love and an attempt to make further light.

My siblings and I have been in our own individual processes of grieving the loss of our parents. My sister has a way of finding comfort in material possessions and I recently took her my mother’s belongings. Among the items, was a framed photograph of the late Pope, John Paul. I confess that I have never been a steady fan of the Papacy, nor of this particular Pope. But I confess as well, that my heart truly does bow down to Francis, who I feel inhabits more of the energy and grace that has been lacking in that space. My mother, however, adored John Paul, and I adore my mother. My sister told me that the photograph of the former Pontiff made her too sad. She asked me if I would just take him on the road with me and send her photos to cheer her up.  We all process grief differently. And I was now on a mission to ease my sister’s pain.

I strapped the Holy See into his seatbelt beside me, and our adventures of redemption, resurrection and reflection began.

I took pictures of the “Holy See ya, in my Kia”. I photographed JP and me down by the Sea and The Holy See in the CLE.  I photographed The Pope on a Rope, The Pope as Woke, The Pope on a slope and The Pope by the boat. I took pictures of John Paul, George & Ringo. And the benediction of a flock of seagulls. I gave the Pope a coke and shot him working by remote, filled with great hope. And The Holy See said Let it Be.

In my wildest dreams, John Paul would not have been my sabbatical side kick. But the afterlife of John Paul has helped me to ease my own afflictions of seriousness, and to make others smile, and to forgive what I tend to condemn when I don’t understand.

As I look at his picture here beside me as I write, I see him with newborn eyes. He looks so frail and small. So weighted down by the things of this world. And so, JP and me will journey  forth to set things free.

Because in the wise, wise words of John, Paul, George and Ringo, Love is All ya need, and We can Work it Out.

In Nomine Patris

Et Filii 

Et Spiritus Sancti

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Realm of Shadow and Light

Daughter, Move Back

What the Wind Said